Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Blog Assignment 8

How We Dream Part 1 & 2
He talks about how he always remembers his childhood with books and that is what he has always wanted to do.  He states that he wrote a speech for the one year anniversary of the Virginia Tech shooting and did it all without ever stepping foot in a library.  He got all of his research from the internet and his thoughts.  He states that research is no longer like the library, in that once you check out a book no one else can get it until it is returned, instead everything can be shared from the click of a button. Also he points out that we can collaborate work with each other via the internet using a webcam.
He goes on to say that information is updated instantly. He said that ideas do not belong to us as an individual but rather as a culture, so we should share all of our information.  He also makes a great point that the limits and restrictions are placed by our own selves.  He basically states that the internet is a much faster way of getting things published rather than just writing and then sending it out.
Honestly, I am not so sure I am prepared to write with multimedia.  I think some of my future students may be prepared, so it seems that I need to get better prepared.

Chipper
This made me laugh and I like the approach to procrastination and the approach to students teaching themselves. I also like the approach to the Timeline Pilot School. Basically stating that you get out what you put in.  Great sarcastic approach as to being so busy that you can't get the work done, then that is what will happen on the job too.  Yet after everything that is obviously their own fault, they constantly still want to blame everyone else and constantly change jobs. I like when Chipper has a change of heart, kind of what happened to me.  After working in the real world and seeing how hard it really is, you realize what is actually important in life and decide what you are going to do with the rest of your life.
EDM310 for Dummies
This video explained exactly what I felt like at first.  However, after taking advantage of the labs and getting advice from other students I actually got it.  I have even helped others, I can not believe it.  Now the course is half way over and I realize that it is not so bad.  I have not made a decision on what my video will be on, but I  am sure I will have it within the next day or so.

Why Smartboards are a Dumb Initiative  
book picture of 100 ways to use smartboardHe made a great argument that most of the time the smart board doesn't do anything much different than a projector, except cost more and makes the white board look prettier.  I would have to agree with him.  This doesn't get the students anymore involved than before, its just more expensive.  Why not use that money for something that will actually help the children in their future.

Why I Hate Interactive Whiteboards
He states, " They do little more than reinforce a teacher-centric model of learning". I would have to agree with him also.  He even gave his away after a year of experimenting with it, because he found that it could no more than what the computers in his classroom were capable of.  Why are the school systems spending so much money on these, and laying off teachers? These are the things that frustrate me about the school systems.  We have great teachers in there now, but we need more teachers.  And the new teachers should be technology literate, so they can pass it on to their students so that they will be "tech savvy". 

2 comments:

  1. Tabitha,

    I agree with your post about EDM 310 For Dummies. I was so overwhelmed at the beginning of the semester, but after watching the video and getting help from students and teachers, it wasn't so bad. I cannot believe I could do all the stuff in EDM 310. I am pretty proud of myself! I can not believe we are half way through with the class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post Tabitha!

    These students are great teachers. These EDM 310 videos have a general theme, the learner is in charge of their own learning learning. As an EDM 310 student you must be open minded, ready to try new things, willing to take the time, able to manage the time, willing to collaborate, and ready to learn a lot. Students must embrace this course and avoid getting behind at all costs. It all begins with the right attitude and that is a simple choice, to take charge of your own learning. SS

    ReplyDelete