Tuesday, September 28, 2010

C4T Summary #2

I commented on Mr. David Warlick's blog about a new piece of technology which he has researched, called Vizit.  This "appears to be a digital picture frame with broadband (3G) capabilities, enabling the sharing of photos across the wireless net". It is going to be used, for example, to show how students in New York learn as opposed to learning in a classroom here in the south.  While Mr. Warlick thinks that this is a new way of learning and that many creative teachers will use it wisely, this piece of equipment is nothing more than what a child will have on their cell phone and can not even compete with a laptop.  So, I am assuming, in his point of view many teachers will find it useless.  I can definitely see his point of view and understand where he is coming from.  I also think that the price is outrageous for something so simple. 


a picture showing VCR tapes pointing to DVDs, which is what we now use
I also commented on Deneah Galloway's blog, who is currently living in Bangkok, Thailand. She is also required to keep her blog because of a class that she is in. The post in which I read of hers is called "Magic Wand" which talks about the fact that technology has come so far.  She makes a point to show how it was just in 2002 that DVD players outsold VCRs.  It is definitely amazing how far we have come.  She talks about a list called "21 Things That Will Become Obsolete in Education by 2020", which I also took a look at.  I have to agree with her that it is very hard to think that all of this can take place in ten years, but it is a possibility that it could happen. She claims that if she had a "magic wand" she would just go ahead and fast forward to those changes, however, I'm glad that she does not have that magic wand because I want to see how it evolves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment