Monday, September 27, 2010

Blog Assignment 6

The Networked Student
After watching this podcast, I would have to say that this video is telling educators what they need to do to keep up with technology.  It is important that we show these children how to work the internet to their advantage and further their education.  I enjoyed hearing what the teacher was there for like supporter and a person to cheer the students on.  I also secretly think that what the teacher hoped her students would take away from the class....."in her heart she hopes he maintains his learning network and use it to navigate his future", is exactly what Dr. Strange wants us to do with his EDM310 class. 


A 7th Graders PLE
I definitely think that she has a great outlook on this class.  She gives great outcomes of using so much of  the internet in her science class.  Her positive outlook on this is amazing and it will continue to help her grow.  In all honesty I think she knew more about the computer and internet than I do.  I feel as if we here in Mobile are lacking teaching all of this technology to our kids.  Our students should be active on the internet also so they can get as much knowledge as possible.  My question is where do we begin with our students? Do we start from the beginning, or will they always lack in technology literacy?
picture of a girl with the words of whatever


The Machine is Changing Us
I would have to agree with Mr. Wesh in stating that our youth now is so involved with themselves.  I love his take on "whatever", hence my picture.  He also took a great look at the fact that 99.9% of the stuff on YouTube is really irrelevant to us.  It really does make you think about what all is on the internet.  He also makes us aware that we are talking to a camera and really ourselves.  He says that we are self conscious about ourselves and being on the internet for everyone to see, and us to look back on at ourselves and a chance to be self reflective.  Does it have effects on us as people, as students, teachers, parents? I am not sure, I guess it just depends on the person.     

2 comments:

  1. Tabitha,

    I agree with you in your post, "A 7th Graders PLE". I know that the student in the video knows more about technology than I do. I also believe that is why we have to take EDM 310. It has really helped me become more technological literate. I also believe that as future teachers, we are in control of whether our students are technologically intelligent or illiterate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Tabitha!

    The Networked Student is a good example of the way the role of the teacher is changing. Like you said its like Dr. Strange says the teacher is more of a coach. The teacher's role is more about being supportive, giving advice and guidance. The student is more in control of his or her own learning. A good example is the student who showed her personal learning environment. Now she's in control.

    Your blog looks good. Be sure you proofread before posting. SS

    ReplyDelete