Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Blog Assignment 12

As one of our blog assignments, I think you should ask us to tell you what we think is important in our teaching careers besides what we are teaching them in curriculum.  Such as should we mentor to them or not? Should we teach safe sex or even have a sexual education class? Also we should name a couple of things that we disagree with in the type of school system we will be working in.

I plan to work in the public education system.  At this point, I am a little upset about the new "thing" that has just been placed into action, which is that any student who makes a grade less than a 70/C can retake the test.  I think that this is an outrage. Not only is this crazy, but it is absurd and makes no sense.  This puts more work on teachers, as if they do not have enough already.  It also is just going to make teachers so called "dumb" down the test, so that everyone can pass it, so that they do not have to stay after school to give the test.  What is should make teachers do, is teach more efficiently so that they do not have to worry about the students failing their test, but what does the teacher do for a student who just does not care.  Because, like it or not, we will all be faced with those students who we know are very bright and intelligent, but they just don't care about school.
Which moves me right along to my next point of mentoring to high school and middle school aged children.  One of the main reasons I choose secondary education, besides the fact that I just do not know how to talk to small children, is because I want to mentor to them.  I know that there are those boundaries that teachers can not cross, however, I also think it is our job as educators to talk to them about real life and that it is not easy.  While they just can not wait to graduate and get out of their parents house, they don't have a clue what the world is about.  Which will carry me right into my third and final point, sex education.  I think we should have this as a class and yes abstinence should be taught, but what teenagers really stay abstinent?? Therefore, I think safe sex is also a choice that should be taught. Young girls need to know that their young boyfriends are not always going to be there, while there may be a few slight occasions in which they stick around.  The young boys should know that these young girls are not always truthful or even knowledgeable about sex and their partners.
Our children need us, teachers, to care about them, talk to them and listen to them, when no one else will. That is one reason, I think that teachers are so important and a computer could never replace them.  Can anyone actually and honestly not think of a teacher that changed their life for the better???


Mrs. Brandi Ellard, one of the most inspiring people I know!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tabitha,
    I completely agree with you that sexual education should be taught in school. I feel it's almost more important than anything else. I can say first hand that teenagers think they are invincible and nothing can happen to them. Some kids aren't as lucky to have a mentor or parents that repeatedly tell them they are not invincible. So we as teachers could take the place and teach them. It's an epidemic of kids out of control and not respecting themselves and even college kids. It's usually because they weren't taught any better. I think that parents just could never imagine their little girl or little boy doing such a thing, so it's all hush-hush. I myself am a single mother of a wonderful ten year old little girl and I had to grow up overnight. I was a senior in high school, so I would love to be able to tell my students about how difficult my life has been as single mother and to just wait even if they are in a relationship with the "love of their life." I love my daughter and she is my best friend but if I could have waited to have her later in life I would. You are exactly right about they sometimes stick around and sometimes they don't. But most of the time they stick around but don't help out financially. As a young girls, they just don't think that way so teachers need to be able to educate them. What really use to scare me when I was in high school for some was that I felt like their life was endangered. I feel like if anything, sex education should be taught for disease prevention. You made some really fantastic points. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tabitha,

    I am so glad that you brought up the fact that the school system now allows students to retake their test. I know that this idea was put in place for a reason, but for many reasons this is not working. I am also glad that you mentioned that if a teacher was teaching well to begin with, then many of these students wouldn't have to worry about take a test again.

    ReplyDelete