Friday, November 12, 2010

Additional Assignment #5

picture from adventures in pencil



After reading his post Sketchy Portraits: 8th Grade Identity and Pencils, I would have to agree with him that teenagers, especially in middle school, they are just trying to figure out who they are and where they belong in life.  I think this is a great age to get them actively involved in school so that they will want to finish and continue their education.  The child's responses back to the teacher were definitely creative.
His next post He just likes the class for the Pencils, was touching.  I really hope and aspire to be a teacher like him.  One who can control his students, make learning fun and interesting, and be the nice teacher. Obviously computers and internet access, which is limited in school, adds to a class and makes it more interesting, however, it takes a great teacher to keep their interest alive.  It is also important to not constantly blame the child, but to see if there is something we, as the teacher, can change to help the child.  
Reading his last post, The Medium Shapes the Learning, I think his last paragraph says it all: "If I begin with a lesson plan and simply pick a tool based upon "fun" or "productivity" or "student engagement," I am running the risk of teaching something entirely unintended.  If I introduce a telegraph as a source of knowledge, we send an implied message that knowledge should be portable, consumable and in small increments. I am not opposed to adding new tools to learning.  I simply want us to recognize that whatever tools we choose will reshape learning in ways that we often fail to recognize."

No comments:

Post a Comment