Monday, September 13, 2010

Blog Assignment 4

Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please!
 I love the sarcastic approach he took with this. I have to agree with him on his take, because whether we like the technology or not is really irrelevant, because sooner or later our children are going to learn about technology.  I would rather my children be safe at being online than careless.  I think it is important that our youth know about technology and use is wisely and safely.   Mr. McLeod is an Associate Professor and live in Ames, Iowa. 

                                               
The iSchool Initiative
This student basically has an plan to save his school system by using the iTouch.  He shows that by using this one tool teachers, parents, and students can keep track of all assignments, get to any formula for math and science, see any book they need to read among many other things.  Then he says that the school could customize it by an application just for that school, showing the lunch menu, each teachers attendance records and the activities for that school. 
I think he has a great approach to our school systems budget cuts. He makes great points about how it will save money and that it keeps up with all due dates.  One of the best points he makes is that the parents can stay up to date with what their child is doing.  This alone can make a huge difference, because by keeping the parents so fully involved then it may even help these children to stay participated because their parents are continuously keeping track of the student. 
However, I think the worst part of this, is that what happens if something quits working. These students will not know how to use just the basics.  That is my only concern for this option.  But I definitely think this student has a great idea about what to do to save the teachers' jobs and could even help the economy.  

Lost Generation
When I first started to watch this I was absolutely shocked at what was being said.  However, I do believe that is how some people think.  On the other hand once it reversed and showed everything being said backwards, it revealed a more positive side.  A side in how I like to think about my life also.
I love the approach she gave of this presentation.  I thought it was so neat that everything was negative, until she read it backward and it made everything positive. 

Eric Whitaker's Virtual Choir
My first thought and last thought was "WOW!"  It is truly amazing what technology has brought us to do.  I think this is a great way for people who can not leave a place to get involved in something they make like to do.  However, what about the need for actual physical human interaction? I think that is something that can not be replaced by a computer and something that is so very important. Don't get me wrong, I think what he did was wonderful; I just think that actually being with another human being is also very important and critical to our children as they grow. 

2 comments:

  1. Don't Teach your Kids this Stuff Please!
    I also loved the sarcastic approach in which the post was presented. He was able to point out the good and the bad about the use of technology. However, if we do not allow our kids to use it because of the bad then they will drown in society for not using it for the good it brings in educating children. I loved when he talked about how his child would be more advanced than another child whose parents banned them from the internet. All we have to do is educate our children on how to properly use the internet so that they can use it and gain the most out of technology.
    The iSchool Initiative
    I also believe this students approach to using the iTouch in schools would cut back on money and provide more jobs for teachers. The ideas of the access the students would have to educational tools, class due dates, lunch menu, assignments, etc. could advance the classroom in so many ways. I also believe using this tool would cause students to be more involved in the learning process. They would believe they were "cooler" and more "high tech" than other schools and that they have thrown their books "out the window." I believe it would draw them in more to their education. I also strongly agree that parents being able to keep track of their child is a great idea. Parents need to be involved and know what is going on. You always have the child/children who come home and the parents ask what did you do/learn in school today and they say "nothing" or other phrases to that same degree. So this would be great for the parents to know what interaction and learning is occuring in the classroom. Even if something quit working with the iTouch where the students could not access the information for a little while I believe they would be able to know the basics. They have already gone a while without them because this would be a new approach to education.
    Lost Generation
    I was truly in shock as well when I watched her read it the first time through. I think my mouth finally closed and my thoughts of anger calmed down when she read it in reverse in a positive light. People in our world view it the negative way and that is why our world is in the shape it is not but we need to turn that around and approach the positive way.
    Eric Whitaker's Virtual Choir
    I also was in awe when I watched the video. The advancements in technology which allowed them to create this are almost not comprehendable. I like your point about the need for actual human interaction. Children need to connect socially because that is a big part of life as well as the advancements of technology.

    I enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ms. Bain! How delightful to see such a thorough comment. You made it easy for me!

    Yes, when the electricity goes off we turn to our generators. When the tire is flat, we change it. When there is no ATT coverage in the backwaters of Florida (where I was for a tie yesterday) and we cannot get an internet connection, we scream. Well, not really scream. Just a little scream. I am sure Travis will have a plan. he left a comment on one EDM310 student's blog. I will try to contact him and get a report on what he is doing with his group hard at work developing the iSchool initiative.

    ReplyDelete