Thursday, September 9, 2010

Blog Assignment 3

A Vision of Students Today
I do think that my college experience was pretty much the same as these students depicted it.  In the spring of 2010 I bought a textbook for a class and never opened it, not even once. Some may view this as a bad thing, but instead she used lectures, images, and power points to help us learn. However, I was aggravated that I bought a book and never used, and when it came time to sell the book back they made a new edition. Go figure.  I believe that she incorporated some technology, that helped me personally visually learn, rather than just reading the textbook.
If I could change one thing about this video it would be that he add in when I graduate college I will owe more for my student loans than I make in a year.  That would hit more close to my experience.

It's Not About the Technology 
This teacher is absolutely correct.  Unless we lay the ground foundation of learning, these children will not even be able to use the computers correctly and efficiently. However, I do know and firmly believe these children need to be educated in technology or they will never make it in the world as teenagers or adults. Her best point is without good teaching habits and our teachers constantly growing their own knowledge, our children are going to be in some kind of trouble.  Our teacher have to be willing to take in all of this technology then they have to make the initiative and go full force into learning about it, then teaching our youth about it.
If our teachers are not willing and open about their technology mishaps; how can we expect our students to be ready for the technology. Even her ending statement basically says that, we can give all the technology in the world to teachers, but unless they are willing to constantly learn it will do no good in the classroom.  On the other hand, you give these technological devices to a teacher who constantly keeps in her mind that they are learners, then there are endless possibilities that can happen.

Is it Okay to be Technologically Illiterate Teacher?
Mr. Fisch has an extremely open way of telling his point of view, yet it is the truth.  We need teachers in our schools who are willing to learn new tools to teach our students.  I do understand that teachers have a lot on them, but every job is stressful in some sort of way.  These students will be the ones who suffer if we as future educators don't pick up on the technological advances we have in front of us.
I do feel that sometimes, it is our own choice to learn more than what we may need to know about technology, but it is important that you know how to function correctly with technology.  Technology is a huge world waiting for us to explore it, and I am sure that our future students will be teaching our teachers about this technology.  So therefore, that is another reason to be open minded about constantly learning as educators.

Gary's Social Media Count
For me this means I better stay in tune with technology as it is very apparent to me, especially now, that technology will be a part of my classroom.  Our students and our very own children will suffer if every educator does not stay up to date with their technology.  We have to be educated in it, so that our students will take interest in it, because if they don't they will not make it in the "real world". It seems that our entire world is revolving around technology.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Tabitha we both seem to have had the same college experience so far and I know what you mean how you can get frustrated that you buy a book and then you do the class and find out you didn't need it. Then I totally agree with you that it not all about technology we need good teachers, but that we as teachers should stay up to date in ways of improving the learning experience for the students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tabitha. I'm going to comment on your blog because the person I was assigned to comment did not post last week. I agree with you that teachers must always be on the ready to learn more. They should not only do this for their students' sakes, but for the sakes of themselves to grow in their learning so they may educate their students to the fullest potential. Good job!

    ReplyDelete